Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chapter 3 Analysis & Commentary

“WAAAAAH!” Screamed Jake. He was being chased by a flock of angry Spearow which came from the direction of the electricity flash. Jake quickly ducked, allowing the Spearow to fly past. “What are you attacking me for? I did nothing to you!” Jake had no means to defend himself, Weedle wouldn’t be powerful enough to take on these, and it has a type disadvantage.

After attempting to see what caused the enormous yellow lightning flash, Jake finds himself attacked by a small flock of angry Spearow, a little charred from electricity. Obviously, he is completely outnumbered, only having a Bug Pokemon which is weak to birds.

*Duunu Duunu Duuh!*

Three Spearows Attacks!

??? used Thundershock!

Critical Hit! Three Spearows faint.


Ok, next.

“Booyah! I knew we could do it Pika-chan! Pleased to meet you, I’m Brian!” said the rather flamboyant man who rescued Jake from the Spearow.
“Uh, hi! I’m Jake. Thank you for rescuing me.
“Anytime buddy, anytime. However, you’ll have to excuse me, I have a lunch date with my colleague. I’ll see you around! Ta-tah!”
“Hey wait!” Jake said. “Was that you who attacked those Spearow in the first place?”
“Oh no, that wasn’t me.” Answered Brian “But I did see another kid with a Pikachu today. I don’t think he knows what he was doing, and that Pikachu didn’t seem happy. Poor thing…”
“Okay, I’ll have to keep my eye out for him. Thanks Brian. Take it easy!”
“Peace out sweetheart!” Brian took off on his bike, with “Pika-Chan” in the front basket. 


So... this character. I really didn't know what I was doing, I admit. I was smart enough to quickly yet gradually phase out these... traits of his before I did something really stupid, and turned him into the more scientist guy of the group. By the way, this is Pikachu #2 in the story (we've already well established Ash Ketchum exists in the world, right? Right.)

Jake continued on north, until he finally entered Viridian City, time 3:30PM. He checked in at the Pokemon Center.
“Welcome! I’m Nurse Joy, how can I help you?” asked the friendly nurse.
“Check my Weedle please?” asked Jake. Weedle’s Pokeball laid on the Pokemon Healing Machine, and was healed.
“Your Pokemon are in fighting form! We hope to see you again!” said the Nurse very oddly. “Oh, and by the way, be on the lookout for Pokemon thieves. Officer Jenny is going to do a special announcement during sunset. There’s a wanted poster on the bulletin board.”
Jake checked the wanted poster. It showed a long red-haired woman and a short blue-haired man, each wearing a white T-Shirt. Jake decided to go to bed early, and checked in at a hostel in upper Viridian City close to the forest. “Ah, you’re from Pallet Town?” asked the clerk.
“Yeah.” Answered Jake.
“A couple of other kids from Pallet checked in this evening. You should introduce yourself. Let your Pokemon out too.”
“Okay, thanks for letting me know!” Jake went into the lounge to meet the other trainers. 


Basic exposition, it wasn't major to my story, but Jessie & James of Team Rocket are established to exist.

A brown-haired kid in blue clothes and a yellow and green circular necklace, a kid dressed in Orange-Red, and Matthew were sitting there welcoming.
“Hey! Jake!” said Matthew. “Meet Adam, and Gary.”
“Hi guys.” Jake said. “I think I know you Gary?”
“Huh, do you now?” said Gary arrogantly.
“Yeah, lets just say I’m keeping my eye on you.”
“I’m the one who started with Charmander!” said Adam. “I nicknamed it “Flarey.” I nickname all my Pokemon!”
“Okay…” said Jake.
“By the way,” said Gary “Did you see a kid and his Pikachu around?”
“Well, no.” answered Jake. “I saw a friend of mine with a Pikachu, but he said he saw another kid and a Pikachu running away from some Spearow.”
Gary laughed. “Ha! I’m willing to bet he got attacked by his Pikachu. From what I heard from grandpa Pikachu didn’t even obey him. What a loser!”


Alright guys, meet the three trainers who took the Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle Ash couldn't get. Adam was perhaps the biggest "tryhard" of the story, and he seemed obsessed with naming his Pokemon. Jake also decides to break the 4th wall, for the first of multiple times. Also, another mention of Ash Ketchum, but where is he?

Off to the corner of his eye, Jake saw another kid on a laptop. His hair was purple and he wore glasses. “Hey guys,” Jake asked. “Who is that?” he pointed to the guy in the corner.
“Oh, that’s Alex.” Answered Matthew. “He’s supposed to be the recurring Rival all of us are going to see.
“There’s supposed to be a secret about him,” Adam interrupted. “I mean, he just seems so mysterious. At one point, he was spouting off words about “Daboomon!” some say he was toking Northern Lights too.
“Um, yeah.” Said Matthew “We shouldn’t trust him. Just battle him if he wants, and let him be.” Jake looked at Alex’s computer screen. Alex was studying up on Ghost Pokemon. Suddenly, Alex jerked his head and made instant eye contact with Jake. His stare looked even creepy with the glasses. Jake was frozen by Alex’s evil glance. His head fill with evil thoughts emitting from Alex’s psychic powers. Horrible images predicting future catastrophic events.


Ah yes, Alex. Thought he was a decent red herring? I didn't get it either, but the character existed in the role play, so he was included. He was, indeed, partly based on "Blue", the recurring rival seen in the Game Boy game, but since Gary was involved in the story (and technically, him and "Blue" are separate characters), Alex was made into a different character altogether. Jake gets to notice firsthand the evil Alex seems to bring. Strange that Jake possessed such power to notice...

In an instant, Jake was back to his senses. It seemed like nothing passed, Adam, Matthew and Gary were still there. “Well guys, I’ll see ya. I’m pooped.” Jake walked to the door.
“Understandable man.” Said Matthew. “Have a great journey! See you around.”
“You too, all you guys.” Responded Jake. “You too Gary.” Jake looked to Alex. “Maybe you too Alex…” he said quietly, believing Alex still heard it through psychic powers. Jake entered the hostel room, and went to sleep.


Just a basic ending, Jake wishes his colleagues well, including Alex, knowing he will see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment