Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chapter 1 Analysis & Commentary

Jake was an aspiring would-be trainer who hadn’t turned 10 yet. Rumors had spread that many of his friends had received their Pokemon and started their journeys, but Jake was the youngest in his age group. His birthday came, and wished his family goodbye. Jake had a unique goal; he wanted to find new ways for Pokemon to improve our lives.

Here is where we meet the main hero of the story, Jake. This is a character based heavily upon myself, and represents the role play character I was in that schoolyard game this whole thing was based on. This is the very beginning of the story, and obviously I was still thinking how I was going to approach this story. I had to make an excuse as to why Jake got his first Pokemon so late, so making him the youngest of the "generation" just had to do. Also, his goal is seen throughout his whole character growth, namely how he captured a Porygon and found many uses for it, and how he learned to tame his Scyther/Scizor.

He arrived at Professor Oak’s lab. “Hello, you must be Jake.” Said the Professor.
“That’s me! Which Pokemon do you have for me to chose from?” Jake asked in response.
“Well,” the Professor answered, “As you know, other children who turn 10 years old also become Pokemon trainers. Some of these have come before you, sometimes within days. I don’t always have the time to get more Pokemon for brand new trainers. In fact, just yesterday I had to give my spare Pikachu to a young man, and that didn’t go too well.”
“Oh, does this mean I can’t get a Pokemon today?” asked Jake in a sad tone.
“Well, I’ll tell you what,” said Oak. “I have an extra Pokeball, and I’ll show you how to catch a Pokemon with it! You’ll be able to keep the Pokemon too.”
“Alright, lets go!” responded Jake.
Jake and Professor Oak travelled north to Route 1. “Over there to those trees, Jake.” Professor Oak led Jake to a patch of tall grass. “Bug Pokemon are more common under foliage. They’re also very simple to catch.”


As mentioned, Jake is the last of the Generation to leave Pallet Town. Even Ash Ketchum is long gone. Therefore, Professor Oak does not have any Pokemon left at all. Lucky for Jake, Professor Oak happens to have a bit of free time, and he goes out and catches a Weedle to satisfy Jake, doing so with success...

*Duunu Duunu Duuh!*

A Wild Weedle appeared!

“Okay Jake, wait for it to hold still, and throw the Pokeball.”

Jake took the Pokeball out of his backpack, and held with patience, waiting for the Weedle to hold still.

Jake throw’s the Pokeball!

The Pokeball shook repeatedly. After 5 shakes, the Pokeball stood stationary.

Jake captured Weedle!

“Wonderful! Let’s return to my lab.”


As you may have noticed, this story is old in my head. A big reason it took me so long in writing it out is because, after all, Pokemon is all about Pokemon Battles, and its not in the Universe of Pokemon without Pokemon Battles. I don't like writing Pokemon battles at all, it seems so redundant to do, and drags on and on. So for my first attempt at writing Pokemon battles, I went and tried to replicate the Game Boy text system, and yes, it looks stupid.

Back at Professor Oak’s lab, Jake was feeding his new Weedle. It enjoyed the leaves and food it was eating.
“Well Jake, this Weedle seems to like you a lot.” Said the Professor. “It is time to start your Pokemon journey.” The Professor reached into his coat pocket and took out a Pokedex and 5 Pokeball’s. “Take these, they are tools for Pokemon Trainers.”
“Thanks Professor.” Responded Jake. “I appreciate every thing you’ve done for me, and I will take good care of this Weedle.”
“Keep your eye out on other trainers from Pallet Town, whether they are new, or old. You each represent the same town.”
“I will Professor! I will!”
Jake took one last look at his town while standing on the hill; with his partner Weedle standing on his shoulder.
“Well Weedle, it’s you and I for now, I can’t wait to see and capture a lot of cool & unique Pokemon!” Jake turned without looking back, with optimism for the future. Off to the distance, some kilometers away, a trainer spots him!
“Aha!” said the Trainer.
“Bul-ba!” said his Pokemon.


Basic stuff, Jakes new Pokemon likes him a lot, heres your Pokedex, yada yada. Of course, early in his adventure, a Pokemon Trainer spots him, with a Bulbasaur, the very Bulbasaur Ash Ketchum missed out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment